How to cook Easy Catfish Gumbo
- 1 pound catfish fillets, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 tablespoon bacon drippings
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 6 cups soup stock or chicken bouillon
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon Gumbo File Powder*
- In large saucepan, heat bacon drippings; saute onions.
- Add tomatoes; cook 5 minutes.
- Add stock, peppers, celery, thyme, bay leaf and salt.
- Heat to boiling; add fish.
- Stir in Gumbo File Powder.
- Serve the Catfish Gumbo over cooked rice.
The Catfish Gumbo recipe easy to prepare and so good! How many days in a year? Well, that's about how many variations of Gumbo there are!
is a stew or soup originating in Louisiana which is popular across the Gulf Coast of the United States and into the U.S. South. It consists primarily of a strong stock, meat and/or shellfish, a thickener, and the vegetable "holy trinity" of celery, bell peppers, and onion. The soup is traditionally served over rice.
powder, also called Gumbo File
, is a spice made from dried and ground sassafras leaves. It is used in the making of some types of gumbo, a Creole and Cajun soup/stew. It is sprinkled sparingly over gumbo as a seasoning and a thickening agent, giving it a distinctive flavor and texture. File can provide thickening when okra is not in season.
This recipe for Easy Catfish Gumbo serves/makes: 6 servings
The Easy Catfish Gumbo recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Fish Traditions: Member Recipes.
Main Ingredient: Catfish
Preparation Method: Soup/Stew