How to cook Easy Chopped Salted Herring - Forshmak
- 4 salted herring fillets, soaked 12 hours in cold water
- 2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
- 5 cup tart apple, finely chopped
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, finely chopped
- 2 slices white bread, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Change water in which the herring is soaking at least twice. Drain. Chop the herring as finely as possible. Combine with the onion, apple and eggs.
- Beat the vinegar with sugar and oil. Pour over the trimmed white bread, allowing it to soak for a few minutes.
- Add soaked bread to the herring mixture and chop until it is smooth.
- Correct seasoning (should be fairly tart) and chill.
- Serve cold as an appetizer, cocktail spread, or on lettuce leaves as a fish course.
The Easy Chopped Salted Herring - Forshmak is a very affordable dish. Delicious, simple, and easy recipe. This recipe is a great idea for appetizer.
Salted, pickled, and cured herring are available in bulk at Jewish, Russian, Ukrainian or Polish delis and can also be found in jar at supermarket.
This recipe for Easy Chopped Salted Herring - Forshmak serves/makes: 6
The Easy Chopped Salted Herring - Forshmak recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Herring
Preparation Method: Appetizer