3 - 4
How to cook Easy French Deep Fried Smelt
- 15-20 fresh smelt (4-5 inches)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk or flat beer
- 1 cup plus 3 tbsp. flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Shortening or oil for frying
- Clean smelt, wash thoroughly and wipe dry.
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium to high flame or at 375°F on controlled burner.
- Beat egg with milk or beer. Add flour and salt and stir until smooth.
- Dip smelt in batter and fry in hot deep fat until crisp and golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side.
- Remove from fat and drain on absorbent paper.
- For extra flavor, sprinkle the deep fried smelt with seasoned salt. Serve immediately.
The Easy French Deep Fried Smelt is a very affordable dish. Delicious, simple, and easy recipe.
Fresh smelts should be stored refrigerated at 32°F to 40°F (0°C to 4°C), excess liquid drained, packed into airtight containers and eaten within 3 to 4 days, or 1 to 2 days when fried.
Smelts should be frozen at 0°F (-18°C), into airtight food containers, immediately after buying bought frozen, smelts should be eaten within 4 to 6 months for maximum freshness.
This recipe for Easy French Deep Fried Smelt serves/makes: 3 - 4
The Easy French Deep Fried Smelt recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Smelt
Preparation Method: Deep Fried
(more Deep Fried