How to cook Easy Fried Smelts
- 2 pounds smelt (cleaned)
- 1/2 cup oil (approx for frying - may use any type of oil)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Combine the flour, salt, and black pepper in a bowl and set aside.
- Mix the eggs and water in another bowl and set aside.
- Place bread crumbs in a bowl and set aside.
- Dip each smelt first in the flour mixture, then in the egg mixture, and finally into the bread crumbs.
- Place the breaded smelt on a rack for 15 minutes to dry.
- Place a heavy skillet on very hot coals.
- Melt the butter in the skillet and add enough oil to fry the smelt in.
- Fry the smelt, a few at a time, for approx 2 minutes per side (times will vary according to how hot the coals are - make sure the fish is fully cooked before serving!).
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve the Easy Fried Smelts with some type of you favorite sauce on the side (i.e. cocktail sauce, tartar sauce, honey mustard, BBQ sauce, etc...)
The Easy Fried Smelts is a very affordable dish. Delicious, simple, and easy recipe.
This recipe for Easy Fried Smelts serves/makes: 4
The Easy Fried Smelts recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Smelt
Preparation Method: Pan Fried/Sauteed
(more Pan Fried/Sauteed