How to cook Easy Greek Marinated Fried Smelt
- 2 pound smelt, cleaned and drained
- 1 lemon (juice only)
- Flour for dredging
- Oil for frying (preferable olive)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped OR 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard mixed with:
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Sprinkle each smelt with lemon juice, roll in flour, and pan fry in hot oil about a half-inch deep.
- Drain on absorbent paper.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan combine the wine, vinegar, parsley, thyme or oregano, diluted mustard, oil, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer 8 minutes, then add the smelts.
- Bring to a boil and remove from the heat.
- Cool, then chill before serving.
- Serve cold.
The Easy Greek Marinated Simmered Smelt is a very affordable dish. Delicious, simple, and easy recipe.
The smelts will keep several days in the refrigerator.
Sliced garlic, shallot, or onion may also be added to the marinade.
This recipe for Easy Greek Marinated Fried Smelt serves/makes: 6
The Easy Greek Marinated Fried Smelt recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
The photo is submitted by Caraline - 10.05.2010.
Main Ingredient: Smelt
Preparation Method: Pan Fried/Sauteed
(more Pan Fried/Sauteed