A large pot of oyster stew
How to cook Easy Maryland Oyster Stew
- 1 quart oysters
- 1 gallon whole milk or 1/2 gallon half-and-half plus 1/2 gallon whole milk (NO SKIM MILK)
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
- 3 large onions
- 5 pounds red potatoes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
- Additional 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Boil potatoes and onions together. Salt and pepper, to taste.
- When potatoes are 3/4 cooked (firm to the touch), remove from the burner and drain. Add butter and soften.
- Add milk, pototoes and onion. Add Old Bay Seasoning. Add additional 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
- Add oysters to the stew and simmer over low heat. DO NOT BOIL. If oysters are large, you can cut them in halves or thirds. Leave small oysters whole.
- The stew is ready once the edges of the oysters start to curl.
The Easy Maryland Oyster Stew recipe is delicious, simple, and really easy to cook. From Maryland, USA.
This recipe for Easy Maryland Oyster Stew serves/makes: A large pot of oyster stew
The Easy Maryland Oyster Stew recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Oysters
Preparation Method: Soup/Stew