How to cook Easy Pan Fried Whole Herring with Apples
- 3 whole fresh herrings
- 2 ounces medium-ground oatmeal
- 1 egg
- 2 red apples
- 1 parsley sprig to garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melted fat or oil to fry
Cider Sauce Ingredients:
- Clean and scale herrings, remove fins, wash in cold water. Dry well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Dip herrings in beaten egg, and coat with oatmeal. Fry in hot fat for 4-5 minutes on each side. Drain well on paper towels and keep hot.
- Wash apples, core, cut in slices and fry in hot fat for a few seconds, turning once.
- Serve herrings with apple rings on a hot dish.
- Garnish with parsley sprigs.
- Serve with a Cider Sauce (see below).
How to cook Cider Sauce
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 ounce flour
- 10 ounces cider or apple juice
- 2 tablespoons milk or cream
- Salt and pepper as desired
- Melt butter, add flour and cook for 2-3 minutes so that the raw flavor of the flour has time to mellow.
- Remove from heat and slowly add the cider, stirring all the time.
- Season to taste, bring to the boil, and cook for a few minutes.
- Remove from heat again, add the milk or cream, and reheat carefully.
- Serve in a hot sauce boat.
The Easy Pan Fried Whole Herring with Apples is a very affordable dish. Delicious, simple, and easy recipe.
This recipe for Easy Pan Fried Whole Herring with Apples serves/makes: 6
The Easy Pan Fried Whole Herring with Apples recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Herring
Preparation Method: Pan Fried/Sauteed
(more Pan Fried/Sauteed