How to cook Easy Ukrainian Pickled Smelt
- 1 pound fresh smelt
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 handful pickling spices
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- Salt the smelt on both sides. Lay the smelt in a class dish and cover to prevent the fish from drying out. Place the smelt into refrigerator for one day.
- Put all the pickling ingredients into a saucepan and bring to a poil. Let the liquid cool. Take the smelt out of the refrigerator and pour off any liquid that has been extracted and dry the fish with paper towls. If the smelt are large, cut them into smaller pieces.
- In a deep glass disk or glass jar, layer the smelt with the sliced onion and repeat this process several times ending with onions on the top layer. Pour the pickling liquid over the fish and onions and cover completely. Store covered fish for 4 -5 days in the refrigerator.
- This is a good snack on rye bread with a slice of fresh onion and cream cheese.
The Easy Ukrainian Pickled Smelt is a very affordable dish. Delicious, simple, and easy recipe.
Fresh smelts should be stored refrigerated at 32°F to 40°F (0°C to 4°C), excess liquid drained, packed into airtight containers and eaten within 3 to 4 days, or 1 to 2 days when fried.
Smelts should be frozen at 0°F (-18°C), into airtight food containers, immediately after buying bought frozen, smelts should be eaten within 4 to 6 months for maximum freshness.
This recipe for Easy Ukrainian Pickled Smelt serves/makes: 4
The Easy Ukrainian Pickled Smelt recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Smelt
Preparation Method: Marinated/Uncooked