How to cook Ecuadorian Striped Bass and Shrimp Stew
- 1 1/2 pounds striped bass fillets, cut into 1 1/2-inch slices
- 1 pound small or medium shrimps
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups milk or half milk, half light cream
- 1/2 pound Munster cheese, grated
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- Rinse the fish and pat dry with paper towels. Season the flour with salt and pepper. Dredge the fish in the flour. Heat the oil in a skillet and saute the fish slices until lightly browned on both sides. Set aside.
- Shell the shrimps, reserving the shells. Cut the shrimp into 1/2-inch pieces and set aside.
- Melt a tablespoon of the butter in a saucepan, add the shrimp shells, and cook, stirring, until the shells turn pink.
- Add 3 cups water, bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes. Strain, discard the shells, and measure the stock. Bring it up to 3 cups with a little water if necessary. Set the stock aside.
- Heat the rest of the butter in a large saucepan. Add the paprika and the onion and saute until the sonion is softened.
- Add the potatoes and the shrimp stock, cover, and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Add the milk, or milk and cream, to the saucepan and continue to cook the potatoes, stirring from time to time, until they are partly disintegrated.
- Add the cheese and stir to mix thoroughly. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then fold in the fish and the shrimps.
- Cook over low heat for about 3 minutes, or until the shrimps are cooked.
- Serve the Ecuadorian Striped Bass and Shrimp Stew in bowls topped with slices of hard-boiled egg.
- This should be thick, but still recognizable as a soup. Thin with a little milk if necessary.
The Ecuadorian Striped Bass and Shrimp Stew recipe very easy to prepare and so good!
The Ecuadorian name for this recipe is Chupe de Corvina y Camarones
This recipe for Ecuadorian Striped Bass and Shrimp Stew serves/makes: 6
The Ecuadorian Striped Bass and Shrimp Stew recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Bass
Preparation Method: Soup/Stew
Cuisine: South American
(more South American