How to cook Eel in Green Sorrel Sauce
- 1 pond (450 g) eel (select a fat eel)
- Salt and pepper
- Greens (sorrel, celery tops, parsley, mint, sage, chervil, lemon balm, and summer savory)
- Finely chop and simmer gently for half an hour in a little butter, with salt and pepper, the following greens: sorrel, celery tops, parsley, mint, sage, chervil, lemon balm and summer savory. A little minced onion may be added with advantage to this brew.
- Meanwhile, skin it, clean and cut the eel into sections.
- Bring to the boil some water ho which a little vinegar has been added.
- Boil the pieces of eel in this for 5 to 10 minutes, according to their thickness.
- Then drain them and put them in with the simmered greenery to finish cooking.
- When the pieces of eel are quite tender, add to the sauce a lump of butter into which you have worked some flour, and bind it thus.
- Serve the Eel in Green Sorrel Sauce hot, with thickly buttered brown bread.
The Belgian name of this recipe is Paling in't Groen
, French - Artguille au Vert
The Eel in Green Sorrel Sauce is famous Belgian dish. It is agreeable to join the Belgians in passionate discussions about just which greens should be used, but the important thing is to have several and to be sure to include sorrel, since its flavor should be the most noticeable.
This recipe for Eel in Green Sorrel Sauce serves/makes: 4
The Eel in Green Sorrel Sauce recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Eel
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered