How to cook Egg-Shaped Pike
- 1 (2-pound / 1-kg) pike
- 1 cup (250 mL) white wine
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- Clean pike.
- Simmer pike into white wine and water, seasoned with salt and pepper, along with chopped onion and bay leaf, until done.
- Strain broth reserve.
- Refrigerate fish.
- Prepare sauce.
- Meanwhile, skin and bone fish very finely cut fish.
- When sauce is cold, mix in very finely cut fish.
- Shape mixture into egg shapes.
- Boil egg-shaped fish mixture into reserved strained broth for 15 minutes.
- Serve, along with sauce.
How to cook Sauce
- 6 tablespoons (90 g) butter
- 1/4 cup (35 g) flour, mixed into 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 mL) pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 mL) nutmeg
- Heat together butter and milk until warm.
- Blend in flour/water mixture.
- Simmer for a few minutes.
- Mix in egg yolks.
- Reheat, without boiling, until really thick.
- Season sauce with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Serve with a spinach salad and white wine.
This recipe for Egg-Shaped Pike serves/makes: 6
The Egg-Shaped Pike recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Pike
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered