How to cook English Smoked Haddock Soup
- 1 pound smoked haddock or "finny"
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 cups cold water
- 2 cups single cream
- 3 ounces butter
- 2 ounces flour
- A screw of black pepper
- Chopped chives (parsley or basil), to garnish
- Slice the onion and crush the garlic. Melt one-third of the butter in a heavy-bottomed pan. Add the sliced onion and soften it without coloring.
- Cut the haddock into pieces and add to the pan. Cover with the water. Simmer for half an hour.
- Melt the remaining butter and mix with the flour. Strain the stock into this second pan. Bring the soup to the boil and check the seasoning: it will probably be salty enough.
- Remove the fish from the bones and put on one side for fish cakes another day.
- Add the cream, re-heat and serve with plenty of freshly chopped chives, parsley or basil, or all three.
The English Smoked Haddock Soup recipe very easy to prepare and so good!
This recipe for English Smoked Haddock Soup serves/makes: 4
The English Smoked Haddock Soup recipe is adopted from The Fine English Cookery by Michael Smith 1998
Main Ingredient: Haddock
Preparation Method: Soup/Stew