How to cook English Sole with Oranges
- 6 Dover sole fillets (about 6-8 ounces each)
- Dry white wine to cover
- Fresh thyme, basil or marjoram
- 15g/1/2 oz butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup single cream
- 1/2 teaspoon arrowroot
- 2 egg-yolks
- Fresh orange segments
- Anchovy fillets
- Freshly chopped parsley
- Butter the bottom of a shallow pan just large enough to contain the fillets when folded or rolled. Gently pan the fillets with a wetted rolling pin, season them and fold or roll each one up with a sprig of any one of the fresh herbs inside.
- Just cover with the wine; cut a circle of paper large enough to fit the surface of the fish, butter it and lay it on top of the fillets to collect any albumin scum. Put a lid on the pan and poach the fish for 6 to 7 minutes, no more.
- Remove the fillets to a clean dry tea-towel to drain and remove all traces of liquor, then arrange them in a long row on a narrow serving dish and keep them warm.
- Stain the cooking liquor into a small pan and reduce to exactly 2/3 cup. Work the arrowroot into the egg-yolks and add the cream. Stir this cream mixture into the hot liquor and simmer gently, stirring all the time, until it is the thickness of a light custard.
- With the arrowroot in the sauce you will be able to bring it just to boiling point, but do not let it boil. Check the seasoning and pour the sauce over the waiting fillets.
- Garnish with a cross of anchovy fillets and flour orange segments to each sole fillet, sprinkle with capers and a little chopped parsley and serve immediately.
The English Sole with Oranges recipe very easy to prepare and so good!
The English Sole with Oranges dish can be served cold, in which case do not cover the fish until the coating sauce has cooled; if you have any bland mayonnaise to hand, add a tablespoon of it to the cold sauce to make it richer. Garnish.
This recipe for English Sole with Oranges serves/makes: 6
The English Sole with Oranges recipe is adopted from The Fine English Cookery by Michael Smith 1998
Main Ingredient: Sole
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered