2 - 4 servings
How to cook Escabeche (Fish with Pickled Vegetables)
- 2 whole long-jawed mackerel (alumahan), total weight about 1 pound (you can use pompano, lapu-lapu or tilapia as substitute)
- 1 bell pepper, julienned
- 1 small carrot, julienned
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, finely sliced
- 1 knob ginger, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 finger chili, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 - 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups vegetable cooking oil
- 1 semi-ripe mango, thinly sliced
- Scallions finely sliced, to garnish
- Pour the vinegar into a small non-reactive (i.e., not aluminum) sauce pan. Add the sugar and a generous pinch of salt. Boil without stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the garlic, ginger, lemongrass and chili. Continue boiling over medium heat until syrupy, about 10 minutes.
- While the sauce cooks, clean the fish by gutting and removing the gills. Rinse the fish under running cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Make several diagonal slashes on each side of a cleaned fish, maybe every inch or so.
- Rub generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat the cooking oil until tiny wisps of smoke start to appear.
- Dredge the fish in cornstarch, shake off the excess, and fry until golden, flipping halfway through for even cooking. Remove from the oil, drain off the excess oil and arrange on a platter.
- When the sauce is done, turn off the heat and stir in the bell pepper, carrot and onion. Allow to steep for a minute. Stir in the mango slices. Pour everything over the fish.
- Sprinkle sliced scallions over the fish.
- Serve the Escabeche (Fish with Pickled Vegetables) hot with freshly steamed white rice.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 30 mins
The Escabeche (Fish with Pickled Vegetables) recipe very easy to prepare and so good!
(Fish with Pickled Vegetables) another delicious Filipino dish is the sweet and sour fish. A Chinese origin but well-loved by almost all Filipinos. Best kind of fishes to be used in this recipe are the meaty but less bony like pompano, lapu-lapu or tilapia
Escabeche is a typical Mediterranean cuisine which refers to both a dish of poached or fried fish (escabeche of chicken, rabbit or pork is common in Spain) that is marinated in an acidic mixture before serving, and to the marinade itself. The dish is common in Spanish, Salvadoran, Panamanian, Peruvian, Philippine, Puerto Rican, Mexican and Guatemalan cuisine, and popular in Catalonia, Portugal and Provence.
This recipe for Escabeche (Fish with Pickled Vegetables) serves/makes: 2 - 4 servings
The Escabeche (Fish with Pickled Vegetables) recipe is adopted from The Philippine Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Mackerel
Preparation Method: Pan Fried/Sauteed
(more Pan Fried/Sauteed