How to cook Exotic Thai Seafood Salad
- 12 large shrimps
- 3 1/2 ounces (100 g) small crab claws, shelled
- 10 1/2 ounces (300 g) squids (white only), cleaned
- 4 pink sea bream fillets, skin on
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) oil
- 1 medium-size red onion
- 1 medium-size white onion
- 3 1/2 ounces (100 mL) white wine
- Boiling water
- 5 1/4 ounces (150 g) Chinese thin noodles
- 4 fresh coriander sprigs
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) reserved cooking liquid
- 4 tablespoons (60 mL) peanut oil
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) freshly peeled, chopped ginger
- 1 generous pinch dried ground coriander
- 2 chives, minced
- 1 small sweet red pepper, diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Wash squids slice squids into 1/4-inch (6-mm) thick rings set aside.
- Peel onions slice red and white onions break slices into rings.
- Melt onion rings for 3 minutes in hot, 1 tablespoon (15 mL), oil, being careful not to color onion.
- Mix in reserved squids rings and white wine salt and pepper.
- Cook, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes drain squids rings, reserving 2 tablespoons (30 mL) cooking liquid for salad dressing.
- Poach crab claws in boiling water for approximately 5 minutes drain and reserve.
- Remove heads and shell large shrimps, leaving tails on.
- Just cut all along the back of each prawn fry shrimps, in hot 1 tablespoon (15 mL) oil, over high heat, until no longer translucent.
- Boil Chinese noodles in boiling, salted water drain noodles.
- Rinse noodles under cold, running water drain and reserve.
- Finely chop coriander sprigs (leaves and stems) reserve.
- Into a salad bowl, mix together lime juice, cider vinegar, salt, pepper and reserved cooking liquid.
- Mix in peanut oil, sesame oil, chopped ginger, ground coriander, chives, reserved freshly chopped coriander sprigs and red pepper dices.
- Well mix in reserved drained noodles, squid rings, onion rings, crab claws and shrimps.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle sea bream fillets with salt and pepper brown in a fry pan, in hot remaining 1 tablespoon (15 mL) oil, for 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Cut each fillets into 3 pieces cool completely.
- To serve, evenly mix together salad and sea bream fillets onto individual plates.
With this salad from the sea, delicately flavored with fresh and dried ground coriander, you will be taken to a perfect beach, under the shadow of coconut trees where you will laze by the sea breeze. For the illusion to be perfect, it is possible to add tiny fresh hot peppers to the sauce, your stomach allowing of course. Even better, serve a small bowl of pickled peppers where only those of your guests who want to and who are not afraid of having their palace get into 'fire' will dig.
Serve with a cold (46 to 50°F / 8 to 10°C) white Bordeaux wine.
This recipe for Exotic Thai Seafood Salad serves/makes: 4
The Exotic Thai Seafood Salad recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Seafood Mix
(more Seafood Mix
Preparation Method: Salad