How to cook Filipino Baked Tahong (Mussels)
- 2 pounds (0.9 kilo) fresh large tahong (mussels)
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Place tahong on a pan (no water), cover and cook over moderate heat. When shells open up, drain. Remove top shell.
- Melt butter, add minced garlic. Stir for 3 minutes. Brush each tahong meat with butter-garlic mixture, top with grated cheese and cover with bread crumbs.
- Arrange tahong on a baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven with a low heat (250°F). Bake for 10 - 15 minutes.
The Filipino Baked Tahong (Mussels) is a very affordable dish. Great tasting food is easy to cook and is also healthy.
Choose fresh mussels
whith shells thightly closed, before cooking.
Slightly opened-up mussel shells can only be eaten if the shells tightly close-up when lightly tapped-on.
An open-up shell means that mussel is dead and therefore can be toxic throw it away.
Mussels will keep, in a large bowl, covered with a damp cloth, for up to 48 hours, refrigerated.
This recipe for Filipino Baked Tahong (Mussels) serves/makes: 4
The Filipino Baked Tahong (Mussels) recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Mussels
Preparation Method: Baked