How to cook Filipino Ceviche of Spanish Mackerel
- 1 whole Spanish mackerel, about 1 1/2 pound, gutted, cleaned, filleted, bones picked over
- 1/2 cup sea salt
- 1/2 cup lime (or lime and calamansi) juice
- 1/4 cup slivered red onion or shallots
- 1 long green pepper, thinly sliced, optional
- Coarsely ground black peppercorns
- Splash of Vietnamese fish sauce
- Cover the mackerel fillets with sea salt and store in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes, ideally 3 hours.
- Rinse with cold water and gently pat dry.
- Making sure all pin bones are gone, chop in to cubes and mix in a bowl with onions, green peppers, onions, peppercorns, and lime juice, enough so fish is completely submerged.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let stand in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Before serving, splash a few drops of fish sauce.
The Filipino Ceviche of Spanish Mackerel is a very affordable dish. Delicious, simple, and easy recipe.
Ceviche (also spelled as cebiche, seviche or cevice) is a form of citrus marinated seafood salad, popular in many Latin American countries, originating in the Viceroyalty of Peru.
This recipe for Filipino Ceviche of Spanish Mackerel serves/makes: 4
The Filipino Ceviche of Spanish Mackerel recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Mackerel
Preparation Method: Marinated/Uncooked