How to cook Filipino Fish Cardillo (Cardillong Isda)
- 4 porgy or perch fillets or steaks, about 6 ounces each
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped onions
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions, including the green tops (to garnish)
- Wash the fish fillets under cold running water and pat the pieces completely dry with paper towels. Sprinkle the fish evenly on all sides with the tablespoon of salt.
- In a heavy 10- to 12-inch skillet, heat 1 cup of oil over moderate heat until it is hot but not smoking. Add all the fish, arranging the pieces in one layer. Fry for 5 or 6 minutes on each side, or until each piece is crisp and richly browned.
- With tongs transfer the fish to a plate and drape foil loosely over it to keep it warm. Discard the oil in the skillet.
- Wash and dry the skillet, and in it heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil until a light haze forms above it. Drop in the garlic and stir for a minute or so until it browns lightly.
- Then add the onions and, stirring frequently, cook for about 5 minutes until they are soft and transparent but not brown. Watch carefully for any sign of burning and regulate the heat accordingly. Add the tomato and continue to cook for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Stir in the cup of water and teaspoon of salt and return the fish to the skillet, a piece at a time. Pour in the eggs and stir them gently into the sauce. Cook for a minute or so until the eggs form soft, creamy curds.
- Sprinkle the top with the scallions and serve at once, directly from the skillet.
The Filipino Fish Cardillo (Cardillong Isda) is a very affordable dish. This recipe is delicious, simple, and really easy to cook.
Filipino Fish Cardillo is a dish with fish in tomato and egg sauce.
Porgy, also known as scup, is a lean fish with a coarse texture and delicate flavor, consisting of a large family of fish found in temperate and tropical waters all over the world.
This recipe for Filipino Fish Cardillo (Cardillong Isda) serves/makes: 4 servings
The Filipino Fish Cardillo (Cardillong Isda) recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Porgy
Preparation Method: Pan Fried/Sauteed
(more Pan Fried/Sauteed