6 - 8
How to cook Filipino Fish Pie (Pastel de Pescado)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 pounds grouper or sea bass, boned and cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup diced potatoes
- 1/3 cup diced carrots
- 1/3 cup diced turnips
- 2 cups fish broth, or 2 cups chicken broth or bottled clam juice
- 1 (8-ounce) can of Vienna sausage, sausages sliced into 1-inch-long pieces
- 1/2 cup diced ham
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- Combine flour and salt in a bowl.
- Make a well in the center and add oil and cold water.
- Stir and mix lightly into a ball. Set aside. (You can also use a pie-crust mix.)
- Marinate fish chunks in mixture of lemon juice, salt and pepper for 15 minutes.
- In a medium skillet, melt butter and brown fish for 15 minutes.
- Add potatoes, carrots and turnips. Add broth.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add sausages and ham. If necessary, season again with salt and pepper. Thicken sauce with flour.
- On a flat surface, roll out half the pastry dough and shape it to fit a pie plate.
- Transfer mixture to fill pastry. Garnish with egg and pepper slices.
- Roll out the rest of the dough and cover the pie with it, pressing the edges to seal in the mixture.
- Prick the pastry with fork to let off steam.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F (180°C) oven about 15 minutes or until pastry is browned and filling is hot.
This recipe for Filipino Fish Pie (Pastel de Pescado) serves/makes: 6 - 8
The Filipino Fish Pie (Pastel de Pescado) recipe is adopted from The Philippine Cookbook by Reynaldo Alejandro.
Main Ingredient: Grouper
Preparation Method: Baked