How to cook Fine Herbs Poached Cod
- 2 pounds (1 kg) fresh cod steaks or fillets
- 1 1/4 cup (310 mL) water or milk
- 1 medium-size onion, sliced
- 3 unpeeled lemon slices
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) salt
- 4 peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) butter
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) flour
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) freshly chopped parsley or
2 tablespoons (30 mL) freshly chopped dill
- Arrange cod steaks or fillets side-by-side into a 12 x 8-inch (30 x 20-cm) glass dish.
- Pour water or milk over fish.
- Top with onion and lemon slices, bay leaf, salt and peppercorns.
- Microwave, uncovered, for 3 minutes on 'MAXIMUM'.
- Delicately spoon cooking juices over fish.
- Microwave for 4 minutes on 'MAXIMUM'.
- Cover dish leave to rest for 3 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove fish from dish.
- Mix together butter and flour thoroughly mix into cooking juices.
- Stir in lemon juice and parsley or dill.
- Mix well.
- Microwave for 2 minutes on 'MAXIMUM'.
- Sauce should be smooth and creamy if needed, microwave sauce for 1 minute more.
- Pour sauce over cod steaks or fillets.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Whatever you may think, poached cod
is delicious, even more so when poached in a microwave oven. Frozen cod
can also be used, but it is important to thaw it first.
Comments by Susan (08.15.09):
This recipe is excellent, I love that it can be done in the microwave. It's too hot right now to use the oven!
This recipe for Fine Herbs Poached Cod serves/makes: 4
The Fine Herbs Poached Cod recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
The photo is submitted by Susan Lord - 08.15.09
Main Ingredient: Cod
Preparation Method: Microwave