4 - 5 servings
How to cook Fish and Chips with Tartar Sauce
- 1 pound tilapia (or any firm, white-fleshed fish) fillets
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup flour
- 1 pound potatoes
- About 3 cups vegetable cooking oil for deep frying
- 1 cup tartar sauce (store-bought or homemade, see the recipe below)
Homemade Tartar Sauce Ingredients:
- Cut the fish into strips about 3 inches long and 1/2 inch wide. Place in a bowl and season with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Add the flour and mix. If the fish is still wet and sticky, add more flour until the fish strips no longer stick together.
- Wash and scrub the potatoes. Cut into strips. Soak in water until ready to cook to avoid discoloration.
- In deep fryer or in a high-side saucepan on medium-high heat bring the oil up to a temperature of 350°F to 375°F (180°C to 190°C). Check your temperature with a candy thermometer or until a small cube of white bread dropped into the oil turns golden brown in 15 seconds.
- Fry the fish strips, in batches if necessary, until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and keep warm.
- Reheat the cooking oil until smoking. Fry the potatoes until golden and crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- Arrange the fish and chips side by side on a plate. Fill a small saucer with the Tartar Sauce and serve on the side.
How to cook Homemade Tartar Sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon finely sliced green onion
- Juice of a quarter of a lemon
- Mix everything together and you have your tartar sauce.
The Fish and Chips
with Tartar Sauce recipe very simple to cook and very tasty too!
In England where it originated, the takeaway (takeout) fish and chips
dish is considered a working class meal that became popular in the 1800s with the development of trawl fishing. Cheap, fast and widely available. Some versions simply require the fish strips to be dredged in flour while others say it should be dipped in batter before frying.
The “chips” refer to the potatoes, of course. Potato chips except that we associate the term potato chips with thinly sliced potatoes. The chips in fish and chips are more like French fries although they are cut in larger pieces.
The traditional accompaniment for fish and chips are salt and vinegar although gravy, ketchup and mustard are common too. We like our home made version of tartar sauce.
This recipe for Fish and Chips with Tartar Sauce serves/makes: 4 - 5 servings
The Fish and Chips with Tartar Sauce recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Tilapia
Preparation Method: Deep Fried
(more Deep Fried