6 - 8 servings
How to cook Fish with Mustard Gravy
- 2 pounds tilapia (or any firm, white-fleshed fish) fillets, cut into 2×2-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- Chili powder to taste
- 1/2 cup black mustard
- 1/2 cup yellow mustard
- 4 tablespoons mustard oil
- 1 cup chopped ginger
- 3-4 fresh green chilies, sliced
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- Chopped cilantro leaves to garnish
- Marinate fish with 1 teaspoon of turmeric and chili powder to taste and set aside for 10 minutes. Shallow fry till cooked and set aside.
- Grind the two kinds of mustard seeds with ginger and 1/4 cup of water till its becomes a fine paste.
- Heat 4 tablespoons of mustard oil in a wok on medium heat. Add the ground mustard paste. Stir for 5-6 minutes.
- Add salt, 1 teaspoon of turmeric and chili powder to taste. Stir for a minute.
- Add the yogurt and mix well. Cook uncovered for 7-8 minutes.
- Add the fresh green chilies and add 3/4 cup of water. Keep stirring very well.
- Cook for 10 minutes and then add the fish. (DO NOT STIR.)
- Gently press down on the fish so it can cook in the gravy.
- Cook uncovered for 15 minutes.
- When the gravy thickens remove from fire.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves and serve the Fish with Mustard Gravy hot with white basmati rice.
The Fish with Mustard Gravy
recipe very simple to cook and very tasty too!
This is a really superb recipe for a Bengali style mustard fish dish. There are hundreds of ways of making this classic fish curry but this is one of the better recipes. This recipe uses both yellow and black mustard seeds. Make sure that you do not overcook the mustard seeds as it will make the gravy bitter.
This recipe for Fish with Mustard Gravy serves/makes: 6 - 8 servings
The Fish with Mustard Gravy recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Tilapia
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered