How to cook French Baked Red Snapper Elegante
- 6 red snapper fillets, about 6 ounces each
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped scallion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, optional
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 8 large mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Use a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- Sprinkle the red snapper fillets with salt and pepper. Arrange in pan and add water and wine.
- Bake, uncovered, 15 minutes. Remove fish to baking dish large enough to hold fillets in single layer. Reserve 1/4 cup pan juice for sauce.
- Melt 5 tablespoons butter and add flour. Cook until roux turns golden.
- Add scallion, celery, parsley and red pepper. Cook 5 minutes or until vegetables soften. Whisk in reservd pan juices, half and half and cream. Bring to a boil and cook until sauce thickens.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in small skillet and saute mushrooms for 2 minutes.
- In another small skillet melt 2 tablespoons butter and saute bread crumbs until brown and crisp.
- Pour sauce over the red snapper fillets. Arrange mushrooms on top. Sprinkle with grated Cheddar cheese and bread crumbs. Bake until sauce is bubbling and brown, approximately 15 minutes.
This recipe for French Baked Red Snapper Elegante serves/makes: 6
The French Baked Red Snapper Elegante recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Snapper
Preparation Method: Baked