How to cook French Onion and Anchovy Tart
- 10 ounces plain flour
- 6 ounces firm butter, chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- 2-3 tablespoons iced water
- 2 pounds onions, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bay leaf, halved
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 15 canned anchovy fillets, drained and halved lengthwise
- 4 small ripe tomatoes, sliced (optional)
- 10-12 black olives, stoned and halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pastry: Put the flour and butter in a food processor and process until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Add the egg yolk and 1 tablespoon of the iced water; process as briefly as possible until the dough gathers on the blades-add the remaining water if necessary. Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Topping: Meanwhile, place the onions, oil and bay leaf in a wide saucepan. Cover and cook over a low heat for about 35 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft but not browned. Add the garlic, thyme, rosemary, a little salt and a grinding of pepper. Cook a over slightly increased heat for about 15 minutes, until the moisture evaporates. Discard the bay leaf and leave to cool.
- Preheat to oven to 400°F(200°C).
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured board into a rectangle measuring about 11x13-inch. Lift onto a 10x12-inch swiss roll tin, moulding it into the shape and crimping the edge if desired. Prick well with a fork and bake blind for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and reduce the heat to 350°F(190°C).
- To Assemble: Spread the cooled onion mixture over the pastry crust. Make a lattice pattern with the anchovy fillets over to top and place a tomato slice, if desired, and an olive half in the middle of each diamond. Brush the anchovies, tomatoes and olives with oil. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve the tart hot, cut into small or large squares as desired.
The French name for the Onion and Anchovy Tart recipe is Pissaladiere
This recipe for French Onion and Anchovy Tart serves/makes: 6
The French Onion and Anchovy Tart (Pissaladiere) recipe is adopted from The Reader's Digest Mediterranean Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Anchovy
Preparation Method: Baked