How to cook French Roasted Monkfish
- 1/2 pound monkfish fillets, rinsed and dried on paper towels
- 1/2 pound sliced pancetta*, unrolled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 pounds washed spinach
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F (180°C).
- Spread the pancetta slices out in an overlapping line. Set the fillets head to tail on top of the pancetta to form a cylinder. Bring the pancetta up around them and tie up the package together with string, like a roast of meat.
- Add the oil to a roasting pan. Sprinkle the fish with salt and pepper and place in the pan. Place in the oven and roast for 25 to 30 minutes.
- While the fish is roasting, heat the butter in a large saute pan set over medium heat. Add the onion to the butter, season with salt and pepper and cook until soft.
- Remove the stems from the spinach. Add the leaves to the onion and toss until wilted - about 1 to 2 minutes. Squeeze the lemon half over the spinach, sprinkle with nutmeg and toss. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed. Set aside.
- To check for doneness in the roast; a metal skewer into the center of the roast. Leave for 30 seconds then pull it out and touch your wrist. It will be very hot, if it is cool or warm, the roast is not done. When the roast is done, transfer to a carving board.
- Put the spinach into the roasting pan and return it to the oven to reheat, while you carve the fish.
- Carve the roast into thick slices, discarding the string. Remove spinach from the oven. Place the fish slices on a serving tray, pile the spinach around them and serve.
The French Roasted Monkfish recipe easy to prepare and so good!
Monkfish was a one time called the "poor man's lobster." It has a firm white flesh and not too many bones.
*Italian pancetta is a type of dry cured meat, similar to bacon. It is pork belly that has been salt cured and spiced (nutmeg, pepper, fennel, dried ground hot peppers and garlic are often featured), and dried for about 3 months (but usually not smoked). Pancetta can be rolled or straight (with all the fat on one side).
This recipe for French Roasted Monkfish serves/makes: 4
The French Roasted Monkfish recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Monkfish
Preparation Method: Baked