4 - 6
How to cook French Simmered Octopus
- 1 octopus, about 2 pounds (1 kg)
- Court bouillon
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 large tomatoes, quartered
1 pint (200 ml) white wine, Muscadet* if possible
- Clean the octopus and let it simmer in a Court bouillon for 40 minutes.
- Remove it and cut it into small pieces.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil and cook the onion and shallot in it until they are golden brown.
- Add the octopus pieces and the garlic, followed a few minutes later by the tomatoes, such seasoning as you judge necessary, and the wine.
- Leave the whole mixture to simmer very gently for at least 20 minutes.
- Serve the simmered octopus with parsley as the garnish.
The French Simmered Octopus is a useful recipe from Brittany, which gives octopus a delicately different flavor. The French name of this recipe is Pieuvre a la Cocotte
is a type of dry French white wine.
This recipe for French Simmered Octopus serves/makes: 4 - 6
The French Simmered Octopus recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Various Seafood
(more Various Seafood
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered