4 - 5
How to cook Fried Catfish Fillets
- 8 to 10 small catfish fillets
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 1/4 cup bacon drippings
- Enough vegetable shortening to deep-fry (2 1/2 to 3 cups)
Hush Puppy Patties Ingredients:
- Wash fish and pat dry. Lightly season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Combine seasoned salt and next 6 ingredients and mix well.
- Dip fillets in eggs, then in cornmeal mixture. Place fillets on a wax paper covered plate and refrigerate at least 1 hour to allow cornmeal coating to set.
- In a large, heavy frying pan, preferably cast iron, heat bacon drippings and shortening to 375°F (190°C). Oil is sufficiently hot when a haze forms above the oil and a drop of water can dance across the surface.
- Deep-fry fish until golden brown, drain on paper towels, and serve immediately.
- Excellent with slaw and Hush Puppy Patties (see the recipe below).
How to cook Hush Puppy Patties
Makes 12-15 patties
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Combine onion and dry ingredients, and set aside.
- Beat together egg and milk, and then combine with dry ingredients.
- Heat 2 inches of vegetable oil in a large skillet to 375°F (190°C).
- Drip batter by heaping spoonfuls into hot oil and fry until golden.
The Fried Catfish Fillets recipe easy to prepare and so good!
This recipe for Fried Catfish Fillets serves/makes: 4 - 5
The Fried Catfish Fillets recipe is adopted from The African-American Heritage Cookbook by Carolyn Quick Tillery - 1996.
Main Ingredient: Catfish
Preparation Method: Deep Fried
(more Deep Fried