How to cook Fried Porgy with Blanched Almonds
- 4 fresh whole porgies (scup), about 1 pounds each, cleaned and heads removed
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk, undiluted
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white or black pepper
- Shortening or vegetable oil for frying
- 1/4 cup slivered blanched almonds
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- Lmon wedges and parsley sprigs for garnish (optional)
- Dip cleaned fish into evaporated milk.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, salt, and pepper.
- Roll fish in cornmeal mixture.
- In a heavy skillet, heat enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Fry fish in hot oil for about 5 to 6 minutes on each side, adding more shortening or oil if necessary.
- In another skillet, melt 1/4 cup of butter over low heat; add almonds.
- Cook almonds until lightly browned; add sherry and heat through.
- Remove fish to a hot platter; spoon sauce over fish.
- If desired, garnish platter and fish with lemon wedges and parsley sprigs.
- Serve the Fried Porgy with Blanched Almonds hot.
The Fried Porgy with Blanched Almonds is a very affordable dish. This recipe is delicious, simple, and really easy to cook.
, also known as scup, is a lean fish with a coarse texture and delicate flavor, consisting of a large family of fish found in temperate and tropical waters all over the world.
This recipe for Fried Porgy with Blanched Almonds serves/makes: 4 servings
The Fried Porgy with Blanched Almonds recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Porgy
Preparation Method: Pan Fried/Sauteed
(more Pan Fried/Sauteed