How to cook Fried Spanish Mackerel with Pesto
- 3 Spanish mackerel (tanigue) steaks, each about 1 1/2-inch thick
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 - 3 tablespoons homemade pesto (see the recipe below)
- 1 - 2 tomatoes, sliced (to garnish)
- 1 - 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced (to garnish)
- Chopped parsley
Homemade Pesto Ingredients:
- Rinse the fish steaks under running cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat cooking oil and sesame oil together. Pan fry the fish steaks over high heat, about 3 minutes per side (it's a crime to overcook fish, seriously).
- To serve, drizzle the pesto over the fish.
- Serve the fried Spanish mackerel steaks with sliced tomatoes and eggs. Sprinkle everything with chopped parsley.
Makes about 1 cup
How to cook Homemade Pesto
- 1 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (with a little of the oil)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons calamansi (or lemon or lime) juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- A light drizzle truffle oil*
- Place everything in the blender or food processor.
- Pulse several times get the motor running and to roughly chop up all the ingredients.
- Process for about 30 seconds for a chunky mixture. Process longer for a smoother mixture.
- Taste, add more salt, pepper or calamansi juice, if needed. Pulse a couple of times to blend.
The Fried Spanish Mackerel with Pesto
a very simple dish, really, but the specks of green, the bright red of the tomatoes and the contrast with the white and yellow of the salted eggs transformed it into a feast for the senses.
is meant to be a finishing oil, rather than a cooking oil used for sauteing or frying. This means it’s best used just before serving: drizzled over soup, risotto, or seared fish, or used in combination with olive oil and whisked into a simple vinaigrette.
Most commercial truffle oils are concocted by mixing olive oil with one or more compounds like 2,4-dithiapentane (the most prominent of the hundreds of aromatic molecules that make the flavor of white truffles so exciting) that have been created in a laboratory; their one-dimensional flavor is also changing common understanding of how a truffle should taste.
This recipe for Fried Spanish Mackerel with Pesto serves/makes: 3 servings
The Fried Spanish Mackerel with Pesto recipe and pictures are adopted from The Philippine Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Mackerel
Preparation Method: Pan Fried/Sauteed
(more Pan Fried/Sauteed