How to cook Fried Tilapia in Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 4 tilapia fillets (about 4 - 5 ounces each), cut into serving-size pieces (about 2-inch)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 cup flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg, well beaten
- Cooking oil
- 1/2 small yellow bell pepper, cut into cubes
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, cut into cubes
- 1 small onion, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- In a bowl, combine fish and soy sauce. Marinate for about 30 minutes in the refrigerator. Drain well.
- In a bowl, place egg. In another bowl, combine flour and salt and pepper to taste. Individually dredge fish in flour, dip in the beaten egg and then dredge again with flour to fully coat.
- In a pan over medium heat, heat about 1-inch deep of oil. Add battered fish fillets and cook, turning once or twice, until golden and cooked through. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- In a bowl, combine pineapple juice, vinegar, ketchup, sugar and salt. Stir until sugar and salt are dissolved. Add cornstarch and stir until well dispersed. Set aside.
- In a pan over medium heat, heat about 1 tablespoon oil. Add bell peppers and onions and cook, stirring regularly, until half cooked. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the pan, add liquid mixture and bring to a boil, whisking regularly, for about 2 - 3 minutes or until thickened.
- Add bell peppers and onions and cook for about 1 minute or until tender yet crisp. Add fried fish fillets and cook, tossing gently, for about 1 - 2 minutes or until heated through and coated with sauce.
- Stir then serve the Fried Tilapia in Sweet and Sour Sauce hot with steamed white rice.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 1 hr and 5 mins
The Fried Tilapia in Sweet and Sour Sauce recipe very easy to cook and so good!
Fried Tilapia in Sweet and Sour Sauce
is fried breaded tilapia in a delicious sweet and sour sauce with an assortment of fruits and vegetables. Another delicious Filipino dish is the sweet and sour fish. A Chinese origin but well-loved by almost all Filipinos. Best kind of fishes to be used in this recipe are the meaty but less bony like pompano, Lapu-Lapu, dori and etc.
This recipe for Fried Tilapia in Sweet and Sour Sauce serves/makes: 4 servings
The Fried Tilapia in Sweet and Sour Sauce recipe is adopted from The Philippine Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Tilapia
Preparation Method: Pan Fried/Sauteed
(more Pan Fried/Sauteed