4 - 6
How to cook German Beer Fish (Bier Fisch)
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds boneless carp fillets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 peppercorns
- 3 whole cloves
- 4 slices lemon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can or bottle (12 ounces) beer
- 6 gingersnaps, crushed
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Melt butter in skillet. Add onion, celery, salt, peppercorns, and cloves; mix. Top with lemon slices and bay leaf. Place the carp fillets on top.
- Add beer. Cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, or just until fish flakes with a fork. Transfer fish to a platter; cover with foil to keep warm.
- Strain cooking liquid, pressing some of vegetables through.
- Put gingersnaps and sugar in skillet; stir in 1 1/2 cups strained liquid. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Garnish carp fillets with fresh parsley. Pass ginger sauce for pouring over fish and boiled potato accompaniment.
The German Beer Fish (Bier Fisch) recipe easy to prepare and so good!
This recipe Bier Fisch
is an old tradition in Germany. The sauce combines sweet, sour, and spicy flavors. In Germany, fresh carp would be used, but since good fresh carp is hard to find in this country, other fish may be substituted. It should not be too delicate in flavor.
This recipe for German Beer Fish (Bier Fisch) serves/makes: 4 - 6
The German Beer Fish (Bier Fisch) recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Carp
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered