6 - 8
How to cook German Fresh Eel Soup with Mushrooms
- 3 pounds fresh eel, skinned and cleaned
- 4 ounces dried mushrooms
- 1 pint sour cream
- 2 teaspoons rye flour
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Cut eel in 2-inch pieces.
- Wash mushrooms, drain, cover with cold water. Let stand 24 hours.
- Drain water and pour it over eel, add additional cold water to cover, add salt.
- Cover. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and cook slowly until eel is tender (about 25 - 35 minutes).
- Add mushrooms and stir. Remove eel from soup.
- Add sour cream slowly to soup, stirring steadily.
- Add pepper and paprika. Mix flour with a spoonful of hot soup and stir into the kettle.
- Stir until soup boils. Add eel, bring to a boil again.
- Serve the Eel Soup with Mushrooms with chopped dill sprinkled on top.
Eel meat is quite firm with a high fat content and full-bodied, distinctive flavor. The raw flesh is gray but turns lighter when cooked, and it has a small, fine flake.
This recipe for German Fresh Eel Soup with Mushrooms serves/makes: 6 - 8
The German Fresh Eel Soup with Mushrooms recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Eel
Preparation Method: Soup/Stew