4 - 6
How to cook German Herring (Matjes) Salad
- 1 (16 ounces) jar sour herring (matjes*) fillets
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 big green apple, peeled and cored
- 1 medium onion
- 2 medium potatoes, boiled
- 2 medium beets, boiled
- 2 medium sour pickles
- 2 eggs, hard-boiled
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiled chopped veal or roast beef (optional)
- Dice apple, potatoes, pickles, beets, onion, sour herring fillets, and eggs. (Leave some herring strips for decoration.)
- Mix all ingredients together with mayonnaise, salt and pepper.
- Decorate the German Herring (Matjes) Salad with some herring strips.
- Add diced veal or roast beef if desired.
The German Herring Salad dish is good idea for appetizer, it is delicious, simple, and really easy to cook.
*The Dutch soused herring (maatjesharing
in Dutch, or matjes
in German and Swedish) is an especially mild salt herring, which is made from young immature herrings.
This recipe for German Herring (Matjes) Salad serves/makes: 4 - 6
The German Herring (Matjes) Salad recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Herring
Preparation Method: Salad