How to cook German Herring (Matjes) in Mustard Sauce
- 1 (12 ounces) jar salted herring (matjes*) fillets
- 1pound potatoes, boiled
- 2 green apples, peeled and cored
- 1 sour pickle
- 1 small onion, chopped Mustard Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons salad oil
- 1-2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 dash salt
- In a bowl, combine diced herring (matjes) fillets, potatoes, apples and sour pickle.
- For mustard sauce, in a separate small bowl beat salad oil, vinegar, and salt with mustard until mixture thickens.
- Add onion to mustard sauce and pour over herring mixture.
- Mix well. Cover and place in refrigerator. Let chill and marinate 2 - 4 hours before serving.
The German Herring (Matjes) in Mustard Sauce salad is good idea for appetizer, it is delicious, simple, and really easy to cook.
*The Dutch soused herring (maatjesharing
in Dutch, or matjes
in German and Swedish) is an especially mild salt herring, which is made from young immature herrings.
This recipe for German Herring (Matjes) in Mustard Sauce serves/makes: 4
The German Herring (Matjes) in Mustard Sauce recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Herring
Preparation Method: Salad