12 - 16
How to cook German Herrings In Wine Sauce
- 8 salt herrings
- 1 cup prepared mustard
- 1 cup olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Dash of ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Crisp lettuce
- Rinse herrings; drain. Cover with cold water and let soak overnight. Drain. Remove skin; cut fillets from bones.
- Discard skin and bones, cut fillets into 2-inch lengths, or serving size pieces.
- Combine all remaining ingredients and pour over herrings in a bowl. Cover bowl and let stand in refrigerator to chill and marinate.
- Serve the German Herrings In Wine Sauce with garnish of crisp lettuce.
The German Herrings In Wine Sauce recipe easy to prepare and so good!
If you want to prepare Herrings in Mustard Sauce - Use 1/2 cup prepared mustard; omit wine. Add 4 tablespoons wine vinegar. Combine and use with other ingredients as above.
Salted, pickled, and cured herring are available in bulk at Jewish, Russian, Ukrainian or Polish delis and can also be found in jar at supermarket.
This recipe for German Herrings In Wine Sauce serves/makes: 12 - 16
The German Herrings In Wine Sauce recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Herring
Preparation Method: Marinated/Uncooked