8 - 10
How to cook German Jellied Herring
- 6 fresh herring
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup vinegar
- Assorted spices (peppercorns, etc.)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 envelopes gelatine, dissolved in 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup white wine
- Clean and cut herring in strips.
- Combine other ingredients (except gelatin and wine) and cook together for 15 minutes.
- Add herring and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove fish and put in a deep bowl.
- Dissolve gelatin in water and add to liquid.
- Season to taste with vinegar (extra) and wine.
- Pour through strainer over fish.
- Cool thoroughly and turn out on a platter to serve.
The German Jellied Herring recipe very easy to prepare and so good!
The German name for this recipe is Geleeheringe
This recipe for German Jellied Herring serves/makes: 8 - 10
The German Jellied Herring (Geleeheringe) recipe is adopted from The German Cookery by Elizabeth Schuler.
Main Ingredient: Herring
Preparation Method: Aspic/Chilled