4 - 6
How to cook German Snails
- 3 dozen snails
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup Burgundy
- Seasoning, to taste
- Herb butter (see the recipe below)
Herb Butter (Krauterbutter) Ingredients:
- Wash snails and cook in boiling salted water until the covers come off easily.
- With a needle, lift snails out of shells and remove all dark spots, including head, cartilage and tail ends.
- Cook snails until tender in beef stock, Burgundy and seasoning.
- Brush shells clean and drop into boiling water with a pinch of baking soda.
- Rinse shells and put snails back in them. Top each one with herb butter.
- Arrange in a pan, with openings up.
- If you have difficulty keeping snails upright, put a layer of salt in the pan and press shells into it.
- Bake in a hot 375°F (190°C) oven until butter begins to bubble, just a few minutes. Or put briefly under the broiler.
How to cook Herb Butter (Krauterbutter)
- 2 cups assorted herbs, chopped
- 2 leaves of spinach
- 1 shallot
- 1 bud garlic
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 7 tablespoons butter
- Boil herbs briefly, drain, dry in towel and chop finely.
- Chop spinach leaves and shallots with garlic, lemon juice, salt and herbs.
- Put all through a strainer.
- Cream butter and add.
The German Snails recipe very easy to prepare and so good!
The German name for this recipe is Schnecken
This recipe for German Snails serves/makes: 4 - 6
The German Snails (Schnecken) recipe is adopted from The German Cookery by Elizabeth Schuler.
Main Ingredient: Snails
Preparation Method: Baked