How to cook Ginisang Ampalaya Leaves with Tinapa
- 4 pieces smoked round scad (tinapang galunggong), flaked and bones discarded (about 1 cup of flaked meat)
- 1/2 small bunch ampalaya leaves
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 large Roma tomato, chopped
- 1 cup water
- Salt and freshly grated black pepper to taste
- Remove leaves from stalks, leaving soft stems intact. Discard stalks. Wash leaves under cold running water to rid of dirt. Drain well and set aside.
- In a pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onions and garlic and cook until limp. Add tomatoes and cook, mashing with back of spoon, until softened and release juice.
- Add water and bring to a boil. Add flaked tinapa and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add ampalaya leaves and gently push down into liquid.
- DO NOT STIR. (Once the ampalaya leaves are added, do not stir. This is to minimize the bitter taste.)
- Continue to cook for about 1 to 2 minutes or until leaves are just wilted.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 30 mins
The Ginisang Ampalaya Leaves with Tinapa recipe easy to cook and so good! And with the good-for-ya nutrients from the ampalaya, healthy, too!
This recipe for Ginisang Ampalaya Leaves with Tinapa serves/makes: 4 servings
The Ginisang Ampalaya Leaves with Tinapa recipe is adopted from The Philippine Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Mackerel
Preparation Method: Soup/Stew