How to cook Greek Fried Squid with Garlic Sauce
- 2 pounds fresh squid, cleaned
- 2 ounces plain flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Greek Garlic Potato Sauce (see the recipe below)
Greek Garlic Potato Sauce (Skorthalia) Ingredients:
- Clean and cut the squid bodies into rings just under 1/2 inch (1 cm) wide; cut the fins into strips. Leave the tentacles joined together and trim the long feelers. Rinse and drain well in a colander; set the tentacles aside.
- Heat the oil to 350°F (180°C) in a deep-fat fryer or deep heavy saucepan. Sift the flour with 1 teaspoon of salt and a good grinding of black pepper.
- Place one-third of the flour in a plastic bag with a handful of squid pieces and shake well. Transfer to a sieve set over greaseproof paper and shake off excess flour.
- Fry the squid for no more than 3 minutes, until golden, stirring often with a slotted spoon. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Repeat with the remaining squid and flour, frying the tentacles last.
- To serve, pile the squid into a warm dish and accompany with lemon wedges and Greek Garlic Potato Sauce (Skorthalia).
How to cook Greek Garlic Potato Sauce (Skorthalia)
- 1 potato, about 7 ounces
- 6 cloves garlic
- 4 tablespoons soft white bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- Peel and slice the potato thickly and boil in water to cover until tender. Drain and cool.
- Chop the garlic roughly, place in a food processor with 1/2 teaspoon salt, bread crumbs and water and process until the garlic is pulverized.
- Add the lemon juice, vinegar, potato and oil. Process briefly until light and smooth and adjust the taste with salt or lemon juice-the consistency should be thick and creamy; stir in a little more water if necessary.
- Transfer to a bowl and serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate until required.
The Greek Fried Squid with Garlic Sauce recipe very easy to prepare and so good! The Greek name for this recipe is Kalamarakia Tiganita Me Skorthalia
This recipe for Greek Fried Squid with Garlic Sauce serves/makes: 6
The Greek Fried Squid with Garlic Sauce recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Squid/Cuttlefish
Preparation Method: Deep Fried
(more Deep Fried