How to cook Greek Simmered Octopus in Madeira
- 2 pounds small octopus, thawed if frozen
- 5-6 onions
- 1/2 apple
- 3 ounces fresh ginger
- 3 ounces dried apricots
- 3 ounces seedless raisins
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup Madeira wine
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Peel onions and cut into thick half rings. Heat the olive oil and butter in a deep skillet. Saute onions until transparent.
- Wash thoroughly dried apricots and raisins; let dry.
- Cut dried apricots in half lengthwise. Ginger peeled and cut into thin slices. Apple cut into slices.
- Add sliced fruit and ginger to the skillet with sauteed onions and cook for a few minutes.
- Wash the octopus and clean, if necessary; add to the skillet.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, add the cinnamon sticks and stir.
- Pour in Madeira wine; bring to a boil and simmer 3-4 minutes until tender (During cooking, you must periodically taste the octopus meat, once it is soft stop to cook. Don't overcook).
- Serve the Greek Simmered Octopus in Madeira hot..
The Greek Simmered Octopus in Madeira
recipe easy to cook and so good!
This recipe for Greek Simmered Octopus in Madeira serves/makes: 8 servings
The Greek Simmered Octopus in Madeira recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Various Seafood
(more Various Seafood
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered