How to cook Grilled Catfish with Red Rice
- For the Grilled Catfish:
- 4-6 Catfish fillets (red snapper, flounder, or sea bass can substitute) - about 8 ounces each
- 1-2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 2 lemons cut into wedges
- Flat leaf parsley or rosemary for garnish
- Olive oil or olive oil spray for greasing
- For the Red Rice:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion or 1/2 med. onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 3 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped, flat-leaf parsley
- 1 (14-ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 small bay leaves
- For the Lemon Butter Sauce: (optional)
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon minced shallot or small onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
For the Lemon Butter Sauc:
- Make a sauce by combining wine, lemon juice, shallot, garlic, vinegar, and thyme in a saucepan.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat to med-high, and simmer until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce to med-low and half butter, whisking until just melted, then add rest of butter.
- Whisk in lemon zest, salt, and pepper, and set aside.
For the Red Rice:
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large saucepan.
- Add onion, celery, and garlic and cook about 3 minutes until softened.
- Stir in green onions, tomatoes, parsley, and rice and cook 2 minutes stirring.
- Stir in 1/4 cup water, chicken broth, salt and bay leaves, then bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and let stand. (Don't worry if very bottom layer of rice is a little burned or crusty, this is natural and also delicious if you can scrape it up!)
For the Grilled Catfish:
- Preheat grill and grease with olive oil. (Tip: spray or brush olive oil directly on fish, instead of on grill, to get maximum effect with minimum use of oil.)
- Sprinkle Creole seasoning liberally over the fish so that it has a nice, reddish coat.
- Grill fillets over medium-high heat until firm and opaque throughout, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Grill lemon wedges on medium-high about 30 seconds per side for looks (optional).
- Reheat sauce over low heat.
- Spoon rice onto plates (removing bay leaves if you see them), place a fillet on top of rice and spread with sauce or serve sauce on the side.
- Garnish the Grilled Catfish with Red Rice with lemon wedges, parsley, and/or rosemary.
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 25 min
This recipe can be a little difficult to cook but it's worth it to have an amazing taste of Grilled Catfish with Red Rice. This is a truly delicious meal. If you're trying to conserve calories, you can leave off the Lemon Butter Sauce and just serve with fresh lemon wedges. It's delicious either way.
This recipe for Grilled Catfish with Red Rice serves/makes: 6 servings
The Grilled Catfish with Red Rice recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Catfish
Preparation Method: Broiled/Grilled