6 - 8 servings
How to cook Grilled Golden Pompano
- 3 medium sized whole Golden Pompano (about 3 1/2 - 4 pounds total weight)
- Salt to taste
- Lime wedges for garnish
- Rau ram (Vietnamese coriander) for garnish
For the marinade:
- 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon patis (fish sauce)
- Spicy Dipping Sauce (see the recipe below)
Spicy Dipping Sauce Ingredients:
- Golden pompano doesn't have scales, so you only need to gut it and rinse it well inside and out. Pat the fish dry with paper towels and score on both sides in a crisscross pattern (about 3/4 - 1 inch apart), cutting the flesh down almost to the bones.
- For the marinade stir together lime juice, sugar, soy sauce, and patis (fish sauce).
- Rub the fish all over with salt and pour with the marinade, making sure it gets into the incisions and the cavity. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours, turning the fish often and basting it with the marinade to ensure even seasoning.
- When the time’s elapsed, start heating your grill to 400°F (200°C).
- Take the fish out of the marinade and thoroughly pay it dry inside and out with paper towels. Let it air dry for about 15-20 minutes, turning it once during this time. If the temperature in your kitchen is too high, put the fish under a fan so it gets dry but don’t spoil.
- Brush both the grill rack and the fish with oil to prevent (or, at least, reduce) sticking. Grill the fish for about 4-5 minutes on each side. When you turn it over, use a wide sharp-edged spatula and slide it carefully all the way under the fish.
- Serve the Grilled Golden Pompano right away with fresh lime wedges, rau ram and Spicy Dipping Sauce.
How to cook Spicy Dipping Sauce
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 2-3 teaspoons Sambal Oelek (chili paste)
- 1-2 tablespoons water
Into a bowl, mix together all ingredients.
The Grilled Golden Pompano is a very affordable dish. Great tasting food is easy to cook and is also healthy.
is an East Coast fish that runs from New England to South America.
is a popular food fish. Its diet yields a rich but mild flavor.The pompano’s flesh is oily and looks white and opaque.
This recipe for Grilled Golden Pompano serves/makes: 6 - 8 servings
The Grilled Golden Pompano recipe is adopted from The Philippine Cookbook by Reynaldo Alejandro.
Main Ingredient: Pompano
Preparation Method: Broiled/Grilled