How to cook Grilled Red Snapper (Amadai Ito-Uni Yaki)
- 1 pound red snapper fillet
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sake
- 3 egg yolks
- 2/3 ounce sea urchin* paste or 1 1/2 ounces fresh sea urchin* roe
- 2 tablespoons butter (optional)
- Very finely sliced carrot, to garnish (optional)
- Slice the red snapper fillet into eight pieces, rub with salt and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Combine the egg yolks and sea urchin paste. Stir lightly to mix well.
- Set the broiler at moderate heat (350°F/175°C). Skewer each piece of fish onto three skewers so that it holds its shape during grilling. Sprinkle the fish with sake and grill very quickly for a minute on each side. Brush the red snapper with the egg-sea urchin glaze and continue to grill until the glaze sets.
- Turn the red snapper over and brush again. Repeat three to four times, until the glaze is an even, golden yellow this will take a total of 10 minutes. Do not overcook the fish. When the fish is almost done, brush it with butter, if using, and grill quickly on both sides.
- Place the grilled red snapper on a serving platter and remove the skewers carefully, twisting them slightly.
- Garnish with the sliced carrot and serve.
are small, spiny sea creatures of the class Echinoidea found in oceans all over the world.
This recipe for Grilled Red Snapper (Amadai Ito-Uni Yaki) serves/makes: 4
The Grilled Red Snapper (Amadai Ito-Uni Yaki) recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Snapper
Preparation Method: Broiled/Grilled