How to cook Grilled Stuffed Pomfret with Green Chutney
- 1 whole pomfret, a little more than a pound
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper powder, to taste Mint-Coriander chutney used as stuffing:
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- A handful roasted ground nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, roasted
- 2 inches piece ginger, sliced
- 1 medium sized red onion, chopped
- 2 green chilies, with very little heat, mostly used for flavors
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- The fish is served whole, so trim the fins and the tail portions first.
- Slit the stomach horizontally, carefully clean the stomach contents from the cavity,wash it thoroughly.
- With a knife continue the slit more down till the tail end, then with the tip of knife slowly ease away the back bone from the flesh. Turn the fish over and repeat the process, this time from the tail end. Gently snap the bone from the head and the tail side, carefully take out the bone, wash thoroughly.
- Marinade the fish with the ingredients for marination as mentioned above for at least half an hour.
- In the meantime, dry roast the groundnuts and the cumin seeds, add in the blender along with the chopped onion, ginger and green chilies, blend to a coarse paste. Next add the coriander and mint leaves with juice of half a lemon with 2 tablespoons of water, blend all the ingredients to a coarse paste. Take out the mint-coriander chutney (green chutney) in a bowl, add salt n lemon juice ( can add more lemon juice to suit your taste.) I have used half the green chutney for stuffing, kept the rest to go along the dish.
- Stuff the pomfret with green chutney, gently coat both the sides of the fish with the chutney, drizzle a tbsp of oil on top and broil for 6 to 7 minutes on each side in a oven safe baking tray. Take out of the oven and cool.
- Enjoy the dish as an appetizer with sliced onion, can serve as a meal with rice/mashed potatoes/veggies of your choice.
Enjoy the dish as an appetizer with sliced onion and green chutney, can serve as a meal with rice /mashed potato /veggies of your choice.
Goes well with: a side dish of rice, buttery mashed potatoes, veggies.
This recipe for Grilled Stuffed Pomfret with Green Chutney serves/makes: 2 servings
The Grilled Stuffed Pomfret with Green Chutney recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Pomfret
Preparation Method: Broiled/Grilled