How to cook Grilled Tuna with Eggplant and Peppers
- 1 high-quality tuna steak, 10 to 12 ounces
- 1 eggplant
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped and coated with cooking oil spray
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped and coated with cooking oil spray
- 1 serrano pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Prepare the eggplant and pepper mixture: slice the eggplant 1/2 inch thick. Spread the eggplant slices on a plate in a single layer. Salt the eggplant sliced generously, and let the eggplant sit and absorb the salt for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high. Spread the salted eggplant on the grill or a grill pan. Coat with cooking oil spray. Place the grill pan on the grill to cook the eggplant. Turn the slices over after 5 minutes, and grill for another 5 minutes or so until the eggplant is cooked to a nice tenderness and has begun to caramelize. Remove the eggplant from the grill and set aside to cool.
- Start grilling the bell peppers and hot peppers at the same time as the eggplant. Place the chopped bell peppers in a grill pan on the grill, or something else to keep them from slipping through. At the same time, place the whole hot peppers on the grill. After 5 minutes turn the hot peppers over and stir up the bell peppers. Check the peppers after another 5 minutes. The bell peppers are done when they are softened and browned; the hot peppers should be nicely sung all over. When done, place the bell peppers in a mixing bowl and close the hot peppers in a brown paper bag to cool. Keep the grill heated for the tuna.
- When the eggplant has cooled, chop it into bite-sized pieces and add to the bowl with the bell peppers.
- Remove the hot peppers from the bag. Place on a cutting board, and slice off and remove the pepper skin with a sharp knife. Slice open the peppers and remove most of the seeds. Use more seeds if you want the dish hotter. Chop the hot peppers into small pieces and add to the mixing bowl.
- Add the olive oil and garlic to the pepper/eggplant mixture, and stir to combine. Set aside as you prepare the tuna.
- Combine the cumin, garlic powder, and salt in a bowl. Gently rub the spice mixture onto the tuna, and set aside for a few minutes.
- Grill the tuna for about 90 seconds on one side, then turn for another 90 seconds on the others side. This gives you a rare tuna steak, with the outside seared in the middle just warmed a bit. When done to your liking, remove the tuna to a platter.
- Slice the tuna crosswise into the slices. Serve by fanning 4 to 6 slices of tuna out on a plate around a generous dollop of the pepper and eggplant mixture.
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 45 mins
The Grilled Tuna with Eggplant and Peppers recipe very simple to cook and very tasty too!
This recipe for Grilled Tuna with Eggplant and Peppers serves/makes: 3 servings
The Grilled Tuna with Eggplant and Peppers recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Tuna
Preparation Method: Broiled/Grilled