How to cook Gypsy Carp (Kapr po Cikansku)
- 4 carp steaks (about 6 ounces each)
- 8 medium potatoes
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds, crushed
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Boil the potatoes in their skins in salted water till done, about 15-20 minutes. Remove the potatoes, let cool a little, then peel them. Slice the potatoes into thick rounds.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Take a large casserole dish and oil the bottom with a little of the olive oil. Put in the potatoes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a frying pan on low, then add the onions and garlic. Fry the onion till it is almost golden, stirring occasionally. Add this mixture to the potatoes.
- Wash the carp steaks gently in cold water and dry in paper towels. Dredge them in the flour.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil on medium in a large frying pan. When hot, add the carp steaks and fry till slightly golden on both sides, about 2 minutes per side.
- Sprinkle the potatoes and onions with the paprika, caraway, and salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Place the carp steaks on top. Pour on the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the juice of 1 lemon. Put the dish in the preheated oven and bake till done, about 10 to 12 minutes. Serve sprinkle with parsley and with lemon wedges on the sided.
The Gypsy Carp recipe very easy to prepare and so good!
The Czech name for this recipe is Kapr po Cikansku
This recipe for Gypsy Carp (Kapr po Cikansku) serves/makes: 4
The Gypsy Carp (Kapr po Cikansku) recipe is adopted from The Best of Czech Cooking by Peter Trnka 1996.
Main Ingredient: Carp
Preparation Method: Baked