How to cook Haddock Hamburg Style
- 1 1/2 pounds (3/4 kg) haddock (or similar fish) steaks
- 2 ounces (60 g) butter
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 1/4 pounds (600 g) potatoes, thinly sliced and parboiled
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 eggs
- 2 ounces (60 g) mustard
- Salt and pepper
- Clean the haddock and cut it into steaks or slices as thick as a finger.
- Rub these with salt and let them stand for an hour.
- Lightly brown the onion in hot butter.
- Grease a reasonably deep, heatproof casserole with butter.
- Fill it with alternating layers of fish and potato.
- In between each layer put some of the onion and a sprinkling of pepper.
- Combine the sour cream with the raw eggs and mustard and coat the contents of the casserole with this mixture.
- Poach over a moderate heat for about 30 minutes and serve with a green salad or a salad of runner beans.
The German name of this recipe is Hamburger Pfannfisch
This recipe for Haddock Hamburg Style serves/makes: 4
The Haddock Hamburg Style Recipe adopted from the book North Atlantic Seafood.
Main Ingredient: Haddock
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered