How to cook Hawaiian Style Fried Tilapia Fillets
- 4 tilapia fillets (about 5 ounces each)
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium tomato, quartered
- 1 small carrot, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 4 dried basil leaves
- 1 cup corn starch, plus an extra 1 tablespoon
- Olive oil for frying
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- Pat dry the fillets, season with salt and pepper to taste, coat them with corn starch.
- Fry fish until done (not crunchy), about 4 minutes on each side. Set aside.
- In a large pan or wok, heat olive oil. Add garlic and cook until golden brown.
- Add onions and tomatoes and continue cooking for a minute.
- Add carrots, cooking for another minute. Add in bell peppers to stir-fry.
- Dissolve 1 tablespoon of cornstarch in water and add to the pan.
- Reduce heat and let simmer, adding sweet chili sauce, basil and pineapple.
- Cook for 3 more minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place fried fillets on a serving bowl or platter and pour the vegetable mixture over them.
- Serve the fried tilapia fillets with steamed white rice.
The Hawaiian Style Fried Tilapia Fillets
recipe very simple to cook and very tasty too!
In this recipe I used pineapple, so I named it “Hawaiian-Style”.
In the Philippines, there is a popular way of cooking called “escabeche,” which basically is a dish (usually fish) cooked in sweet and sour sauce. Escabecheng Tilapia (whole fish) is quite common.
This recipe has all the elements of escabeche plus ambiance of Hawaii, represented in the pineapple ingredient. Rather than using whole Tilapia, I used fillets which may be easier to obtain, frozen, from your favorite supermarket.
This recipe for Hawaiian Style Fried Tilapia Fillets serves/makes: 4 servings
The Hawaiian Style Fried Tilapia Fillets recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Tilapia
Preparation Method: Pan Fried/Sauteed
(more Pan Fried/Sauteed