8 - 10
How to cook Herring Fillets a la Lady Hamilton
- 8 salted herring (matjes) fillets
- 2 cooking apples
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup double cream
- 2 tablespoons grated horseradish
- 2 tablespoons redcurrant jelly
- 1 bunch fresh dill
- Herring (matjes) fillets are lightly salted. Soak them for 1-2 hours in several changes of water.
- Core but do not peel the apples. Cut each into 4 thick rings and sprinkle the lemon juice over them.
- Whip the cream until it is stiff, then combine the horseradish with it.
- Dry the herring (matjes) fillets, roll them up and place one on each ring of apple.
- Pipe the cream and horseradish mixture through a forcing bag on to the fillets. Add a little blob of redcurrant jelly on top.
- Separate the dill into tiny sprigs and plant these in the cream.
The German name of this recipe is Matjesfilets Lady Hamilton
Named for Lady Hamilton, a fiery miss in her day, and Lord Nelson's great love and mistress.
The Herring Fillets a la Lady Hamilton dish is good idea for appetizer.
This recipe for Herring Fillets a la Lady Hamilton serves/makes: 8 - 10
The Herring Fillets a la Lady Hamilton Recipe adopted from the book North Atlantic Seafood.
Main Ingredient: Herring
Preparation Method: Marinated/Uncooked