How to cook Homemade Sardines in Tomato Sauce
- 2 pounds sardines fish, isdang tamban or small bangus (milkfish), not more than six inches long
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 4 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 red hot chili peppers, chopped
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
A pressure cooker will be necessary, definitely.
- Clean, scale, cut heads and tails off the fish, and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the sardines in the pressure cooker and arrange side by side in a layer together with olive oil, tomato sauce, tomatoes, onions, and red hot chili.
- Cover and lock the pressure cooker and set over high heat.
- When the valve starts to whistle, lower the heat and cook for an 20 to 45 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Open the pressure cooker after allowing the pressure to dissipate, about 10 - 15 minutes.
- Carefully lift each fish and transfer to a shallow serving bowl, arranging them side by side.
- Serve the Homemade Sardines in Tomato Sauce hot with steamed white rice or pandesal bread.
The Filipino Homemade Sardines in Tomato Sauce
recipe easy to cook and so good!
According to the historian the word Sardines are named after Sardinia, the Italian island where large schools of these fish were once found. In the Philippines has a local name for this kind of fish, they called it "tamban".
While sardines are delightful enjoyed fresh, they are most commonly found canned, since they are so perishable.
If you bored eating sardines in canned, why you don't try this to prepare and cook at home with your family. I'm sure you will enjoy the delicious taste and healthy benefits of sardines, which is rich in nutrients that have been found to support cardiovascular health and most concentrated sources of the omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA, which have been found to lower triglycerides and cholesterol levels.
This recipe for Homemade Sardines in Tomato Sauce serves/makes: 6 servings
The Filipino Homemade Sardines in Tomato Sauce recipe is adopted from The Philippine Cookbook by Reynaldo Alejandro.
Main Ingredient: Sardines
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered